Sunday, January 31, 2010

Preparing for the 2010 Census

TO: Secretary of Commerce Gary Locke,

I am writing to you to exhaust my administrative remedies. I may need to schedule an administrative hearing once I have been provided with the information that I am seeking below.

If I am going to be require to fill out a census form, then I will need to check to see if the Office of Management and Budget has approved the form, and more importantly, the requirement for the form to be filled out. This requirement is set forth in the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1980.

My concern is that there appears to be a statutory requirement to fill out a census form at 13 USC 221. However, when I look at the Parallel Table of Authorities and Rules, I can find no corresponding entry for this penal statute. According to the federal Administrative Procedures Act and Federal Register Act, this means that the statute has no "general effect" and cannot "affect substantive rights."

Please do not tell me that the forms have been approved by OMB. Please provide to me a list of the forms and their corresponding OMB control numbers so that I can research this matter for myself.

Thank you for your prompt consideration of this important matter.

No comments: